Sunday, February 5, 2012

Owlie pattern

Here is my own version of one of those cute little owls you've seen across blogland, Pinterest, or Ravelry.

Materials:
G hook
small amounts of worsted weight yarn
9mm safety eyes(I've used 12mm too and they look cute too!)
Polyester stuffing
scraps of felt/fabric

To start:
Owl is worked in a continuous spiral, do not join rounds, just count! :-)

Magic circle and then 6sc into center.
Rnd. 1  2sc in each stitch around (12sc)
Rnd. 2  1 sc in next stitch, then 2 sc in next; repeat around until you have 18sc.
Rnd. 3  1 sc in each of the next 2 stitches, then 2sc in next; repeat around until you have 24 sc.
Rnd. 4  1 sc in each of next three stitches, then 2sc in next stitch; repeat around until you have 30 sc.
Rnd. 5 sc dec in first stitch, then sc next 13, sc dec again, then 13 sc.
Rnds.6-18 sc in each stitch around
Rnd. 19 sc dec in first stitch, sc in next 11 sc, then sc dec again sc next 11 stitches
Rnd.20 sc in each stitch around

Before stuffing, decorate the outside of your owlie. This is where every owl really comes to life. I have included several pictures to show just a few of the ideas I have used to embellish each owl. No 2 are ever alike. Some of my ideas include buttons or safety eyes, felt or fabric for wings, felt or yarn for outlining the eyes, embroidery floss for french knots to embellish eyes or wings.


You can see more ideas to embellish your owlies here here, and here.

 After you have decorated your owlie, its time to stuff him firmly and pinch together the top seam and I single crochet across the top. I like the seam it gives and then you can pull and shape the sides to make it look like "ears".

6 comments:

hooksandyarns said...

They're adorable. :)

Mereknits said...

They are so cute! Love them.
Meredith

Hazels Crochet said...

These are very cute

Heather - The Good Life said...

Very cute! :-)

Hazels Crochet said...

Hey, just thought I would let you know that I have given you an award :)

Crochet Dude(Rob) said...

If you participate in blog awards, I have one for you on my Blog.